Tuesday, December 14, 2010

But I'm just a girl!

I really do love all forms of martial arts. My background is Tae Kwon Do and I wanted to start training at one of our local schools run by my son's former teacher whom I adore. Then I saw this video with Rener Gracie and his girlfriend Eve Torres






What really stuck out was when she said "For most women, this is the worst case scenario, having basically a man between your legs." This made me realize the importance of knowing how to fight on the ground because chances are if a man attacks, that is where he wants to go. The other selling point is that Gracie Jiu Jitsu is about technique and leverage as opposed to brute strength. As a woman, I will never match most men with just strength. Thankfully, Helio Gracie, the creator of this particular art, was very small and weak and created moves that compensated for the strength he didn't have. Using these techniques, he was able to defeat opponents much larger than he was. Thirdly it teaches patience. If a man is all over you, most likely you are going to panic. You can't think straight in a real situation like that. You have to rely on muscle memory. Teach your body what to do in case your mind checks out.

No comments:

Post a Comment